Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Women's Tea Blend







Two of my favorite things in the whole world are herbs and crafts. So, when I have a chance to combine the two I'm one happy camper! That's exactly what I've done while creating an herbal tea blend with matching labels, tags, and stickers. Not to mention, a lovely DIY way to create your own tea bags! (I must give credit for that idea to the amazing Lia Griffith. That's where I found the inspiration for this herbal tea and tea bag tutorial.)


Before I jump into the instructions I'd like to talk a bit about the herbs I've chosen for this tea. There are three different herbs included, Nettle, Raspberry Leaf and Peppermint. 
Nettle is an exceptional herb for women, men and children alike. It is a tonic herb, which means it can be used daily with no adverse effects. I have used Nettle for years and attribute this herb, along with Raspberry Leaf, to be the reason my second pregnancy, birth and post pardom experience went so well. I had a short, minimally painful labor, ample milk supply, and healthy baby boy. But, even if you aren't pregnant or breast feeding this herb is wonderfully healthful. 
Raspberry Leaf has been used for centuries as a women's wellness herb. It helps to strengthen and tighten all of ur female organs. 
Peppermint, although a wonderful herb in its own right, I chose mainly for its ability to mask the astringency and slight bitterness of the Raspberry Leaf.
There's a bit about my herb selection. Now, onto the fun part.


Here's what you will need:
Labels, Tags  Stickers
Cream Colored Cardstock


To make the tea blend combine
2 parts Nettle
2 parts Raspberry Leaf
1 part Peppermint 
Mix thoroughly and place in a glad jar with a tightly fitting lid. 
For those who enjoy loose tea, no need to continue onto the tea bag instructions. Just include a reusable cotton tea bag.  Although, if you'd like a unique and thoughtful handmade tea bags, do proceed to the next step.



Now to create these lovely handmade tea bags. 
Cut doubled Cheese Cloth (A double layer will make a suitable barrier between the herbs and cloth) into 5 inch squares. 
Cut twine into 10-12 inch pieces. 
Place 1 tbs. of herb mixture into the center of the cloth square. Pull the edges up to form a little sachet. 
Tie one end of the twine around the base of the sachet of herbs. Make it nice and tight so that it doesn't come undone when submerged in the hot water. 
Attach your folded and hole-punched tag to the other end. 
Now, create more, place them in a glass jar or plastic bag, add a label and sticker, and that's it! Here's a wonderful and healthful gift, perfect for a pregnant or new mom, or any woman!






No comments:

Post a Comment